- Liverpool | Businesses and political leaders in Liverpool have asked for government help in backing a £1.4bn recovery plan to prevent a socio- economic crisis “deeper than the 1980s recession”.
- Rents | Less than 15% of retail rents were paid in Q2, down from 20% in Q1. Across all commercial lets, receipts were 18% (25% last month) with office landlords seeing the steepest decline to 23% from 31%, a situation which doubtless has precipitated the administration of Intu.
- UK manufacturing | The flash PMI figure jumped to 50.1, from 40.7 in May, hovering just above the 50.0 marker for no change.
- UK services flash PMI rebounded to 47.0, up from 29.0 in May.
- Sterling | A poll of analysts suggests that if a UK/EU trade deal is achieved,sterling could be pushed up to $1.30 (+4.4%)
- Recovery spending | Boris Johnson has said that he plans to increase public investment in order to recover from the impacts of coronavirus, saying that the virus had been “a disaster” for the UK “but in those moments you have the opportunity to change and do things better.”